Dual Language Program
The Dual Language Program is a bilingual educational program integrating English Language Learners and English-speaking students for instruction in and through two languages (English & Spanish). Dual Language Programs are also known as "two-way immersion", "two-way bilingual", "bilingual immersion" and" dual-language immersion".
Classes are composed of:
- Balanced Population - half "native" English speakers & half "native" Spanish speakers
- Balanced Instruction - language, literacy, and content area instruction are provided in both languages to all students.
The Dual Language program is located at Woodin Elementary.
Educational. Students are capable of achieving high levels of proficiency in a second language without detrimental effects to their primary language development.
Cognitive. Bilingual students perform better on tasks that call for divergent thinking, pattern recognition and problem solving. Bilingual students also have advanced levels of linguistic awareness. They use strategies to figure out the relationships between what is happening and what is being said. Since most social interactions are by choice, the motivation to understand is so strong it encourages student learning.
Socio-Cultural. By interacting with peers who are fluent in the target language, students are exposed to appropriate social conventions of language. Proficiency in two languages also permits individuals to expand their world.
Economic. Bilingual students have enhanced employment opportunities.
- Attainment of challenging, age-appropriate academic skills and knowledge.
- Advanced levels of functional proficiency in English and Spanish.
- Understanding and appreciation of cross-cultural differences.
- Why start with such young students?
- How are students chosen?
- Will English-speaking students be behind their peers in monolingual classrooms?
- Is the dual language curriculum the same as that taught in monlingual kindergarten, first and second grade?
- Will students have the second language skills they need to learn new academic material?
12950 NE 195th Street
Bothell, WA 98011