Sick Leave Buy Back
All certificated and classified Northshore employees are reminded that they have the opportunity to convert their unused sick/emergency leave accumulated during the previous year into cash. Enacted by the State Legislature, this program is designed to be an incentive to encourage attendance. Please refer to your collective bargaining agreement for more information.
As stipulated, employees must first accumulate 60 days of unused sick leave at your FTE/hours per day (your balance must be 60 days or more as of December 31 of each year. This includes leave used in December, which will not be processed until the January payroll). Examples:
- 7.5 hours per day X 60 days = 450 hours
- 4.0 hours per day X 60 days = 240 hours
Employees can then obtain compensation on a 1:4 basis (25%), with an employee entitled to one day's pay for every four days of unused sick leave accumulated in the 2017 calendar year (at your FTE).
The application period to buy back is January 2 - 31, 2018. Please download and print the application form, fill it out, and send it to Jodi in the Payroll Office via inter-district mail. Please do not fill this out and send back via email. Your signature is required on the form. Completed forms must be returned by January 31, 2018. Payment for cash-out will be included in the February 28, 2018 pay statements.
The sick leave balance on your December 31, 2017 statement reflects end of November balances. If you used sick leave during December, please deduct those hours from this balance to determine your ending balance as of December 31, 2017.
- The maximum amount of sick days you can accumulate is equal to the number of days per your calendar/contract. For example, all NSEA members can accumulate up to 180 days (at 7.5 hours = 1350.00 hours); if your contract/calendar is 260 days, you can accumulate up to 260 days (at 8 hours = 2080 hours); if your contract/calendar is 191 days, you can accumulate up to 191 days (at 8 hours = 1528 hours); if your contract/calendar is 228 days, you an accumulate up to 228 days (at 8 hours = 1824 hours), and so on.
- If your balance at the end of your contract year is above the number of hours/days you can carry forward, you will lose them.
- Please remember, at retirement, you can only buy back up to 180 days at a 1:4 ratio (25%) at your FTE.
- You can find out your current or previous sick leave balance by referring to the appropriate pay statement by using employee online at https://eo.nsd.org (e.g. for your August 31 balance, look at your August 31 pay statement). Please remember we are always a month behind on recording leave usage.
- If your ending sick leave balance as of 8/31/17 (before the September accrual) was 180 days or more at your 2016-17 FTE, then you qualify for the annual VEBA cash out in January. You will receive a VEBA packet from Jodi in Payroll at that time.
- Any hours over the 1350.00 maximum were deducted on the September payroll.
- If your ending sick leave balance as of 6/30/17 (including leave used in June) was 1440 hours or more, then you qualify for the annual VEBA cash out in January. You will receive a VEBA packet from Jodi in Payroll at that time.
- If your ending sick leave balance as of 6/30/17 (including leave used in June) was below 1440 hours, however, adding your July new-year accrual brings your balance over 1440 hours, you do not need to do anything at this time.