This is one of the most exciting times in the Northshore School District as we begin building community around our new school, scheduled to open in fall 2020. Because schools are more than just a number, the time has come to select a name for Elementary #21. We need a name that honors and connects to our community or pays tribute to inspirational leaders. Do you have an idea for a great name? Do you want to help select the final name?
As we enter the last year of construction of our 21st elementary school, we are beginning the naming process which is described in Procedure 9250P:
- The superintendent forms a naming committee.
- The naming committee submits a list of 3-5 recommended names to the School Board.
- The School Board approves the final name.
It is important to us that our community’s voice is heard during each of these steps. You are invited to submit your name ideas and apply for the Elementary #21 Naming Committee. We will also request additional feedback after the Committee creates a list of recommended names in the fall.
Join the Elementary #21 Naming Committee
The Committee will be led by Elementary #21 Principal Cathi Davis and will be comprised of district leaders, parents, guardians and community members. If you are a Northshore parent, guardian or community member, we invite you to apply. Applications will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 3. The Committee will meet twice in October.
Submit a Name Idea
To give the Committee a head start, we want to collect your ideas! But be advised, Policy 9250 sets clear criteria and guidelines for school names.
- The name should be known and significant to the Northshore community; or
- The name should identify the geographic area of the community served by the school; or
- The name should honor a prominent individual, known locally or nationally, who has made a long-term contribution to the education of children. If a person’s name is selected for Elementary #21, then in keeping with the board’s desire for inclusion and equitable recognition, it will be named after an individual who is a part of a minoritized community.
Name ideas will be accepted through Sept. 27, 2019.
About Elementary #21
Elementary #21 was approved by voters in the 2018 election as a step to help ease the crowding in schools on the District’s north end. The K-5 elementary school will serve approximately 500 students. It will be located on Maltby Road, close to Little Bear Creek Road. The site is also slated to become a shared campus with a new middle school, pending voter approval of a future bond. Learn more…